Through years of hard work installing, maintaining and monitoring restoration projects in western Washington, we have determined what weed control methods work the best. Our invasive plant management plans emphasize using manual control methods and establishing a competitive native plant community. Sound Native Plants has crews based in Olympia and Vancouver, WA that perform weed control and other maintenance tasks.
Techniques we employ :
- Removal by hand – chopping, mowing and grubbing
- Removal by excavator (a “grapple” attachment uproots blackberries with minimal ground disturbance)
- Sheet mulching
- Installation of weed control fabric
- Shading and competition from native plantings
- Herbicides applied in conjunction with an Integrated Vegetation Management plan
Invasive plants we control (not a comprehensive list) :
- English ivy (Hedera helix)
- Reed canarygrass (Phalaris arundinaceae)
- Invasive knotweeds (Polygonum spp.)
- Himalayan blackberry (Rubus discolor)
- Scotch broom (Cytisus scoparius)
- many others!
Call or email us to discuss your project.